3 Times We Need To Put Our Phone Down

I have a problem.

It doesn’t seem like a big deal 99% of the time, but the other 1% it’s a huge deal.

You see, sometimes I like my iPhone.. too much. For the most part, I’m good at using it as just a tool. I use it to make phone calls, make notes, organize, communicate and be productive. The other times, I use it to kill time or play an occasional game. All of that is fine. All of that is in the 99% of the time that it’s not a big deal.

The other 1%? That’s the times I’m staring at my phone when something so much more important is happening around me. That’s the time when my attention is needed or deserved somewhere else. That’s the time when I have the phone in front of my face rather than my eyes on the people around me.

Here are 3 times we all need to put our stinkin phones down (yes, even you Android users)…

1. When your family needs you
I’ve caught myself doing this one too manny times. My wife needs my help or wants my attention and instead of giving her my undivided attention and help, I’m half listening and half looking at something on my phone. We all have to realize how important it is that we’re present with the people that matter the most. Even if it’s something “good” you’re doing on your phone at the time, we still need to put the thing down when our family and those closest to us need our attention. They need our time and deserve to have it.

2. When your mind needs rest
I sometimes look at my phone for a “break” throughout the day. I know that some people use their phone to clear their mind. Sometimes, though, we need to be stimulation free. Sometimes, we need to sit in quiet and rest our mind. When my son was in the NICU several months ago, there was a sign on the door that said “Quiet, no stimulation needed.” What that meant was that my son and the other babies in the NICU needed rest and lots of it. They didn’t want a lot of people or loud noises messing that up. Sometimes, we need the same thing. Put the phone down. Rest your eyes and your brain.

3. When you feel like you can’t
Now, I’m not a big fan of the idea that smartphones are bad and that we’re all just addicted to them like our parents were addicted to cigarettes. I do, though, think that at times I feel somewhat attached to being plugged in to the world and holding my phone in my hand. When that happens, we all need to put our phone down. There’s an actual thing now called Facebook Depression. Facebook Depression happens because of what we see on social media and how we compare ourselves. It’s a real thing. When you feel like you can’t quit looking at Facebook or one more bird needs to be thrown in Angry Birds, put the phone down… it’s not that much fun.

Your turn… when else should you put your phone down?

6 Comments

  1. I have decided to pretty much set the phone down for the next 40 days. It has become a consuming instrument and I need to refocus. Ill answer calls and texts, but no social media checking/posting for 40 days. I caught myself picking up my phone very consistently and its time to break the habit and replace it with reading a book or something

    Reply
  2. Ali

    Since January I downgraded to a Nokia brick and although I miss some of the amazing iPhone features & how efficient it can make life I’ve noticed the big improvement it’s made on me spending time with friends & family

    Reply
  3. Allison Bates

    As a new mom, I try very hard not to spend all my time on my phone when I’m with my son. 18 years is too short of a time to waste playing on my phone instead of getting in all the quality time I can with him. I know you can relate as a new dad!

    Reply
  4. Rosemary Mandeville

    When your at church ! The word of God is more then the phone . Unless someone’s. At the hospitial
    Ect leave it off or at home .they can wait .

    Reply

Join the Conversation