3 Signs You Need to Find Another Place

1. Your current place is draining you rather than fulfilling you.

We all have those days. Those days when we wanna just go home and give up. Those times when where we are and what we do seems to cause more stress than good. Usually, though, in the middle of these times, we still know we’re being fulfilled. That we’re doing what we were created to do. It’s fulfilling us. When where you are quits fulfilling you, you may need to find somewhere or something else. That’s no good way to live.

2. You’re giving your current place only half effort.

Whatever you do deserves your best. Whether it be a place you like or dislike, it should still get your full effort. Sure, there will be days that you don’t feel well or that something else is causing you to get off track, but you should still want to give it full effort. If you find yourself only wanting to give half effort day after day, it may be time to find a new place.

3. Your current place is effecting your family life.

It’s really easy to take work home. Even if your job is strictly a 9-5 kinda job, the frustrations can still make you be different at home. It happens… we all have those times with where we are or what we are doing. But it shouldn’t be a constant or consistent thing. If where you are is changing who you are (for the worse… listen to those around you), then it may be time to find a new place.

OK, those are my 3. Any more ideas? What have you learned from your experience?

1. In the midst of our work there should be some level of fun. Not saying it’s a fun jib, but if you can’t make some aspect fun, then you might need to move on. It also helps if you have a “best friend” at work.

2. I don’t have anything to add Jonathan. Just wanted to tell you that I think you did a good job with this post. I sometimes find myself in all three of these at different times. If all at one time I am in deep horse doodoo. I would also agree with Larry. If where you are is not fun, move on.

3. Agreed. I’ve found myself in all three at once; and I’m not staying there longer than I have to.
    There’s also, however, the notion of completing what you set off to do. In my case, being a doctoral student, it means I want to finish the thesis before moving on…
    Although, sometimes, thinking like that can lead to a succession of self-imposed deadlines by which to quit (“oh, and I should write that paper too”, etc.) and you find yourself staying there longer than you should.
    How do you break the cycle?

1. These 3 don’t DEFINITELY mean it’s time to quit or move on… they’re just indications. Ultimately, you have to do what you believe is right. If you’re called to get your doctorate, you’re called to finish it. It’s a balance between pushing through the tough times and knowing when enough is enough. Hope that helps (I don’t have a great answer for you) :) Great Q though. Can anyone else help Pierre?

4. Great points, Jonathan. I had to come to this decision several years ago when I gave up a good paying job to stay at home with my son. I could have continued (my office was out of my house and I only had to see my boss a couple times a year) but, I wasn’t giving them my best effort and I knew it. My heart was torn. Giving them notice and pursuing the direction God wanted me to pursue was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

5. Well this spoke right to me this morning. However, only #1 applies to me. I don’t feel it’s draining me, but ultimately I think it might be, the frustration is. I am not giving it only half I am confident in that. I am giving 110% in fact trying to do some real good, just running into massive road blocks. It hasn’t affected my family but I know it has an impact. In that, my wife hears of my frustrations. She is understanding though, a great listener and is helpful in our discussions. She is a great support. Have I made any sense?

1. Yeah, you do. I think it’s important to remember that we all have tough stretches… that doesn’t always mean it’s time to quit. Ultimately, it comes down to hearing from God and obeying him. Maybe, though, #1 is a sign that you need to start considering it.

Glad you have a wife to support you through it!

6. Ben

Thanks for the post Jonathan. I think for those of us in church work, things become even more convoluted when we start to confuse our calling with our occupation. I know plenty of frustrated guys/ gals working in churches who never pursue their dreams because they feel like they’re forsaking their calling. When, in truth, God’s call is much bigger than any 9-5 job.

Sorry for chasing a rabbit, just felt like this needed to be said.

7. Towards the end of my previous job, I was in a place where I felt I needed something different. I wasn’t being challenged, and my heart wasn’t in it. Grateful for the change that happened. Change provides opportunity for further growth.

8. Debi Debanto

Definitely listening to God is super important. Sometimes we are called to a purpose or a season that may seem frustrating to us, but He has us there for a reason. It’s discerning that difference that’s the hard part. Moses had a horribly frustrating job trying to convince Pharoh and yet God kept calling him back to it.

9. TMZ

Could relate to all of these things as I reflect on my move from Georgia to southern California last fall. Did wonders for my psyche to have a totally brand new change of scenery. Starting to wonder if that’s what I need again after a year and a half out here. Definitely gave me some thoughts to consider here.

10. Sounds like the Kenny Roger’s song “You gotta know when to hold ’em know when to fold ’em..” I can relate to all three of these thoughts and probably could add a few more indicators of when to move on. I will point out that as you get older your ties become stronger to your church, family etc this seems to add to complexity of “knowing when” is the best time. The best way is through prayer and sensitive to the God’s Spirit.

11. Ellie

If, when you’re at your current place (job) your thinking/dreaming of being somewhere else and doing something else, then it’s time for a change (even though change is hard).

Ellie

12. Another would be the incredible need to isolate yourself..especially from close relationships. If most of your interaction is limited to being around people who don’t know you very well, there’s a reason.