Don’t Box Me In

Jonathan Pearson

Millennial | Leader | Pastor | Communicator | Campus Pastor at Cornerstone Church in Orangeburg S.C., Assistant Director of The Sticks Network, creator of Millennialleader.com, and author of the upcoming book Next Up: 8 Shifts Great Young Leaders Make (NextUpBook.com).

23 Responses

1. Phil says:

God crafted us all to be different with amazing gifts that we should put into practice. The world would be a little boring otherwise! I think its important that we also respect one another differences too.

Thanks for sharing Jon.

2. Good stuff Jonathan. Good reminder also for leaders and for “followers.” Leaders don’t like to be boxed in. Why do we expect the people to follow lock-stock in line? Maybe they don’t want to be boxed in either. It also works the other way. People stuck in a rut and wanting the pastor/leader to get in line or else. We need to allow for diversity of gifts to be used.

3. Kathy Fannon says:

As I read this I thought of a conversation I had with my daughter the other day. What if we were all accountants? Who would tell the people of “Narnia” about Jesus? Who would greet guests and answer phones? Who would work in the nursery? (SO not my calling!) Who would cook Wednesday night community meals? And God bless our custodial crew!

This is why Jesus gives us the Body, we all need each other with our different gifts and talents. We can’t expect somebody else to be or to think like us or things may not get accomplished.

And who would write these amazing blog posts if we were all landscapers?

4. April says:

I really appreciated this post! Will be sharing it!

5. Russell says:

So many times we box ourselves in trying to be like others. Why? Either we try to be like others or we try to meet their expectations (our boss, spouse…). Enjoy the season you are in and realize that once in a while we get boxed in to realize that we must find a larger box or cut some hole in that box.

6. Eileen says:

Nice thoughts. At first, I misread this sentence…”Different people are wired different ways” I thought it said, different people are weird in different ways…I find both to be true…but in a good way. :)

7. Jason Vana says:

I notice this a lot in my college ministry. Some students encounter God through structure and format, others through a seemingly lack of structure. We have to keep that in mind when trying to help students grow closer to Christ – just because they don’t worship or study or seek God like I do, doesn’t mean they aren’t seeking Him.

Great word, JP!

8. Zee says:

“It’s different, but it’s okay.”

(Another friend of mine had to repeat that to herself quite often because there are a lot of things that are different in Ukraine in comparison to the States…)

I think the same phrase can be used with the same idea you mentioned above. “People are different… but it’s okay.”

Thanks for the good reminder, Jon.

9. ThatGuyKC says:

Amen. My wife and I recently went through “Love & Respect” and the major point Dr. Eggerichs repeatedly drove home was “We’re not wrong, just different”.

We have a strong tendency to interpret other people through the lens of our own beliefs, backgrounds and history of experience. If we took a moment to pause and calm down enough to see someone like they see themselves I think grace would prevail more often.

10. We are, especially as believers, created in Christ Jesus unto good works. The work that He would have me do is not the same that my neighbor must do. We are all members of the Body, unique members, with different functions that allow the Body to operated.

11. Lois Mclaughlin says:

A good friend of mine, a missionary to Ukraine for the last 17 years, has a phrase he tells all who come for a visit to our country. haha..

12. Sophie Yates says:

I also thought of Michael Hyatt’s post from about a year ago in regards to knowing our weaknesses and not trying to strengthen them, but allowing somebody else to do a task who has that as a strength. Thanks for sharing Jon. This is why Jesus gives us the Body, we all need each other with our different gifts and talents. Some students encounter God through structure and format, others through a seemingly lack of structure.