3 Tips for Leading Millennials

Jonathan Pearson

Millennial | Leader | Pastor | Communicator | Campus Pastor at Cornerstone Church in Orangeburg S.C., Assistant Director of The Sticks Network, creator of Millennialleader.com, and author of Next Up: 8 Shifts Great Young Leaders Make (NextUpBook.com).

13 Responses

1. Duane Scott says:

Success is when your dog wakes up your wife and she then makes the coffee… Just saying.

2. Michael Reid says:

Great post JP! As a Baby Boomer that works with a few Millenials, this was great insight into how they (you) tick! Thanks for making old folks aware!

3. Jimmy Larche says:

Appreciate this post, Jonathan!

4. erik bennett says:

Ive found that M’s want to add value, feel valuable to an organization they believe is worth valuing. You used three P’s so i thought I’d use three V’s :) Nice work on this post.

5. Frank Honess says:

Hey Jonathan, love the post! But I have a question: How do you deal with a millennial who is just plain lazy? You can tell they have these three qualities within them: wanting to partner, plan, & participate, but they can’t even make it to work on time OR meet a deadline OR remember to take a shower? :-) How do you speak into someone who deals with laziness & procrastination? I’m sure you’ll agree that while MANY millennials are craving your three P’s, MANY also seem too lazy to do anything about it. Thoughts?

• I do agree. I think the answer to your question is 2 part. 1. You have to give them a reason to not be lazy. Speak to their potential, let them see the vision you’re wanting them to partner with, and let them belong… With you and the vision. 2. Some just aren’t going to do anything regardless. Those types run through all generations, but many millennials are lazy because they feel entitled. Don’t feed that sense of entitlement.

Hope that helps. Thanks for stopping by. Great Q!

6. Kaz says:

As a millennial myself, I have recetly found myself asking questions like: Why do we spend so much time inside the building when the world is not there? Why does “spiritual maturity” seem to mean you attend more and get busy more? Why do we plough so much time, effort and money into programmes and rotas when reaching the lost can be as simple as having lunch with your unsaved work mates?
    I think the church could learn a lot from millennials (and maybe save a lot of time and money in the process too!)