5 Signs It’s Not About Jesus

We live in a messed up world.

People have taken something that is so easy and revolutionary and turned it into something complicated and regular.

Here are 5 signs that what you have isn’t Jesus, but something else…

1. You believe that people around you are suddenly unworthy of your company because you’re a “Christian.” (Mark 1:40-45)

2. You’ve locked yourself up in a bubble of Christian people. You make no effort to build relationships outside of the faith. (Matthew 9:10)

3. You have an easy time following Jesus. (Mark 8:35)

4. You believe that you don’t have to give to a local church because it’s YOUR money. (1 Corithians 10:26)

5. You believe that it’s possible to “go overboard” for Jesus. (Matthew 22:36-40)

Any more to add?

1. I know I’ve struggled with #2. It was easy to get into my Christian bubble a few years ago. I worked for a Christian company (most of the people there went to my church) and I was a leader in my church. I spent 99% of my time with a small circle.

It actually became hard to relate to old friends or even talk to people outside of my circle.

Thankfully the Lord has graced me and taught me balance in that area of my life.

1. Ben

Totally relate to this too, it’s kind of hard to really step outside if it’s been your entire life within “that bubble.”

One thing I work on now, is any interaction with somebody who I don’t know, I be sure to remember I might be the only reflection of Jesus that person has ever seen.

2. It’s not about Jesus when you’re all wrapped up in YOUR promotion in church (ie. elder, deacon, etc), YOUR being called on to pray or teach, and YOUR study/reading/quiet time habits compared to others’.

3. This is a really great list. I’ve been thinking a lot about this as we develop a church-wide series called Weird to go with our pastor’s new book. I think we get tricked into thinking that if we’re Christians, people will think we’re good decent citizens. But it actually promises we’ll be persecuted and rejected and misunderstood. People won’t think we’re nice, they’ll think we’re weird.

4. The last half of 2009 and first half of 2010, I found myself in a Christian bubble. It definitely wasn’t intentional, but it happened. The founding pastor of the church I was on staff at left, and the elders in place at the time weren’t organized enough to get anything done. I ended up doing everything – from setting the preaching schedule, checking the mail, meeting with the accountant, creating the info for potential candidates, sending out letters, organizing our massive Easter Egg hunt…everything. I spent more time in the church building than I did in my own house…and had no time for anything else. It really burnt me out on “ministry,” and made me finally tell them that I wasn’t doing anything else.

When doing ministry consists of 90% administrative and 10% actually impacting lives…it’s not about Jesus.

5. Wow…all of these are SO true. Number 2 is a big one for me. It is funny how we sit back and talk in our “christian lingo” and people outside of church have no clue what we are talking about!!

6. Good stuff Jonathan 2. is the stinger for me; living in a Christian Community & working in one of our Church businesses means I do have to make a real effort to reach out to those around me.

7. alice

Great – I like this but you have to watch #5 – and make sure Jesus is asking you to do it. especially if you have weakness mentally, it’s best to have some bounderies!

1. I don’t think it’s possible to follow Jesus too closely. It’s what His love demands. I do think it’s possible to be too religious. To turn following Jesus into a ritual that causes us to be no good for society or the Church.

1. alice

True – but #5 doesn’t mention following Jesus closely, it states that a sign ‘that what you have isn’t Jesus, but something else…’ is believing that “it’s possible to “go overboard”. Well it clearly is possible to go overboard – people are having breakdowns all the time, and blatently people have killed in Jesus’ name. I admire sold out Christianity and seek to live it myself, but statements like this need balance. I guess that comes with maturity.

1. Those people didn’t go “overboard for Jesus” those people just went crazy and blamed it on Jesus. I’m sure that maturity will gain me some things, but I hope it never distracts me from being overboard FOR Jesus.