The word “change” is a popular word when it comes to leadership discussions.
- We hear about changing an organization.
- We hear about helping change followers.
- We hear about taking a group of people through a change process.
It seems the one place we don’t use the word “change” enough is when we’re speaking of a leader themselves.
We don’t talk near enough about the constant and consistent change that must happen inside of a leader.
- As leaders, we must be continually changing and adjusting to the culture, our followers, and the people around us.
- Leaders must consistently be open to the change of ideas, concepts, and theories.
- Leaders must be willing to change their own thoughts and opinions in order to keep up with rapidly changing ideas, technologies, and programs.
Perhaps, the “change” must occur within the leader before it can effectively happen in the organization.