- 10% of 9-10 year olds have started drinking.
- Nearly 1/3 of kids have their first drink by age 13.
- 1/4 of 14 year olds have reported drinking in the past year.
- 40% of individuals who start drinking before the age of 13 will develop alcohol problems later in life.
- For 12-13 year olds, inhalants are the most reported class of drug use. The most common inhalants are household items.
- 1 in 13 6th graders have smoked marijuana.
- 1 in 5 7thy graders have smoked marijuana.
- (Source: Parent Life, September 2009)
It’s becoming increasingly difficult to be a child or adolescent. The pressures are high. There’s a lot vying for their attention. However, from my experience, many wouldn’t mind being a little different for something they believe in.
Then, of course there’s the stat that we all know that says that about 95% of people that will surrender their life to Christ will do so by age 18.
The stakes are high. The need is evident. Jesus cares.